If is very simplistic but effective.
The offense mainly consists of nothing but option reads and option routes.
Option reads are doable in 06 but option routes are not.
However, after watching and studying the offense for a few years, I’ve noticed that the offense attacks in mainly three ways:
- The deep ball via Go, Post, and Deep Comeback routes
- The flats via WR screens
- The line via the run game
These three areas, when attacked, stretch the field like no other offense can.
Defenses had to make a a decision on which to stop. It is extremely hard to shut down all three.
And all three of these facets can easily be replicated in 06.
Simple put, the deep ball is effective in 06.
WR screens are effective too.
The run game can be what you want it to be.
There are two versions of this offense:
- Briles/Baylor – all Gun formations with using PA Read, WR screen, and QB Choice for 90% of you play calling
- Babers/Bowling Green – 50% Gun/50% under center. Same three concepts as above but with the added run game from under center.
Dino Babers just accepted the Syracue job but go online and watch Some Bowling Green games to see how they run their offense.
Babers likes using Pro Style looks to run basic Slams and Dives.
With version can work in 06.
The following formations work well for the offense, regardless of version used:
- Gun Spread
- Gun Trips
- Gun 5-Wide
- Gun Y-Trips
- Gun Split
- Gun Split Slot
- Ace Normal
- Ace Big TE WR
- Ace Y-Trips
- Ace Empty
- No Back
- I-Form Slot
- Strong Normal
These are the ones I’ve discovered so far that have at least 2/3 of the three concepts you need to run the offense.
Notice how there are no compression or twin sets.
The offense is designed to have your two best WRs on opposite sides of the field to truly spread things out.
For recruiting, here is what you need:
- QB – first priority is a strong arm to throw the deep ball. If he can run as well then the offense becomes really fun to run.
- HB – pure runner who can attack all gaps. Speed and strength, basically the best HBs you can find. The never catch the ball in this offense so hands don’t matter.
- FB – pure run blocker. Don’t hesitate converting a huge TE to FB. Both are interchangeable.
- WR – speed, height, and hands. Your receivers will really only do two things: catch deep balls and screens so recruit towards to those two things.
- TE – TEs rarely touch the ball in this offense. I recommend getting the TEs who are essentially extra linemen. Let your WRs handle all the catching duties.
- OL – biggest, strongest you can find. Awareness is good too
Remember that in this offense you will be at least 50/50 run/pass.
The most productive offense her are the ones where you will run more.
I recommend that you watch as many Baylor and Bowling Green games as you can to get a mental feel for the offense.
Remember, you only need the deep ball, WR Screens, and your favorite type of running attack to make this offense work.
Lastly, this offense is normally centered around the hurry-up and no-huddle philosophy, but you don’t have to use this in 06.
I can put up 500 yards a game on 5 minute quarters without the need for HUNH.
Refer back to my Screen post for tips on that part of the offense.
Pick your favorite 9 formations and have fun with this offense.