In the next day or so I will be starting a new dynasty in 06. I know what offense I want to run. I am going to be a heavy run spread option team, think tons of Triple Option, Speed Option, QB Choice, and PA Read from Gun sets, especially from twin back sets. What I haven’t decided yet was what type of defense I wanted to put on the field.
This question has motivated me to start a post on my holistic thoughts on defensive football in NCAA 06. As you can tell from my first set f posts, I enjoy talking offense. Defense can be a ton of fun too, once you figure it what works best, for you anyways.
In the 10 years of playing this game, I have only used one type of defensive scheme per se, and in that time I have used the same set of plays to make it work. Defense is hard in this game, thus why I just stick with one main defensive identity.
Even though I have used just one type of defense, I really believe there is no right or wrong way to play defense in 06. It is quite possible that all the main defenses in this game can work if you practice enough.
So instead of giving you my tips for better defense or my defensive playbook, I want to share my thoughts on defense as a whole.
- I have always been a 4-man front guy. My defense consists of 4-3, nickel, and 4-4. I use all three depending on who I play. The problem with this is you need to over-recruit certain positions like MLB and CB
- I have always struggled using the 3-4 for the following reasons
- nose guards are extremely hard to find. Height and weight matters in 06 and finding 330+lb DTs can be really tough
- 270+lb DE are hard to find as well, especially that switching around player positions is not as easy compared to more recent titles
- I struggle against impact HBs, thus the 3-4 has too many holes up the middle for my tastes
- I feel that it helps to have 4 rushers, this results in always having to blitz at least 1 LB every play
- I like the idea of the 4-2-5 but the position of the strong safeties are not in the right spot and I don’t want to adjust them on every play.
- I think the 3-3-5 would be even tougher to use than the 3-4, for obvious reasons
- I have thought about using the 4-4 as my base but OLBs are too slow to run it exclusively. The best OLBs you can find run at best a 4.39 and with that defense, you are asking your OLBs to do a lot of things
- I think CPU QBs tend to struggle a little more against zone than against man. Constantly trying to put the ball in tight windows is tough to do over the entirety of a game
- Yes the deep ball is tough to stop, but playing a lot of cover 2, 3, and even 4 zone will help with this
- I think calling defensive plays is no different than calling offensive plays, you have to mix it up
- CPU offenses know who their impact players are and will try to get them the ball whenever possible, which is a good thing, for realism sake
- If you like to blitz a lot, you better hope you get to the QB, otherwise they are great against find your weak spots
- Speed is everything, awareness is everything
- I struggle against run-spread teams. The best I ever went up against was UTEP and Mike Price, one of the founding fathers of the original one-back spread. They do a lot of things from Ace formations, mainly Spread and Trips. They ran downhill on me out of the 4-wide sets and I had no answers for it. It made me want to use that offense
- I struggle against heavy option teams that use flexbone, wishbone, etc. I never add these teams to my schedule for that reason
- Did I mention how hard it is for me to stop impact HBs?
Well these are my thoughts on defense right off the top of my head. I can probably think of some more but this is a good start.
I want to hear from you and your thoughts on defense in 06. What base do you like to use: 4-3, 3-4, 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 4-4, etc?
Do you have any tips for me, especially if you are a 3-4 guy or any other defense I don’t normally use?
Please post in the comment section so we can talk about defense, which I’m sure we all could learn something new since it is much harder to pin down compared to offense.
I will start my dynasty once I get some good feedback from you guys since I want to try some new things on the defensive end with this dynasty.